Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic Soup

Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup
Recipe by Dragon

Hi Everyone! I'm back. Did you miss me? I've been missing this blog and all of you so much. I promised I'd bring you something delicious and I never forget a promise.

This soup is one of my absolute favourites. I worked on this recipe for several months and I think the results were worth it. Enjoy!

Serves: 8

Ingredients:
3 red bell peppers
1 whole garlic bulb
Olive oil

2/3 cup chopped shallot
I inch peeled fresh ginger cut into 3 pieces
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
3 whole star anise
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 3/4 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (5 cups)
4 cups chicken stock or broth
2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
¼ cup of cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cut the top of the garlic bulb, drizzle the top with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Wrap garlic in some tin foil and roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until fragrant and tender. When the garlic has cooled, squeeze out the garlic cloves and set aside.

3. Increase temperature of oven to 500 degrees or broil.

4. On a cookie sheet, place peppers and drizzle each one with olive oil. Make sure each pepper is well coated in olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Char the peppers in the oven, turning them until the skin is completely charred. Place peppers in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The steam will loosen the skins. When the peppers are cool, scrape the skins off with a knife and set aside.

5. Cook shallot, garlic, ginger, and anise in butter in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until shallot is softened, about 5 minutes. Add squash, stock, and water and simmer, uncovered, until squash is very tender, about 20 minutes. Remove star anise and ginger.

6. Add roasted garlic and red peppers, cook for 5 minutes.

7. Purée soup in 2 batches in a blender (hot liquid, be careful!) until very smooth, about 1 minute per batch, then transfer to cleaned pan and keep warm, covered.

8. Bring soup to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add cream and stir until blended.

9. Serve with a drizzle of cream for garnish.

15 comments:

maybelle's mom said...

welcome back. i like the addition of red pepper to this kind of soup.

♥ mesa para 4 said...

Dragon I missed you...great you´re back with a lovely soup...Abraço

Peter M said...

Nice to see you back! I love the squash and red pepper combo.

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm loving the drizzle...this looks great!

Patsyk said...

Good to see you are back! This soup looks wonderful and perfect for the crisp, cool days we've had here.

Núria said...

Good to see you back :D. Your soup looks fantastic and we are expecting freezing cold for tomorrow.... the perfect dish ;D

Arundathi said...

so good to have you back!!

Lo said...

Totally missed you! So glad you're back. And this looks like a great recipe. I love me some squash soup... and the red pepper makes this one to try!!

Shelley Kubitz Mahannah said...

You were extremely missed ... good to have you back.

redmenace said...

Wonderful combo! Thank you. Lovely pics too.

Anonymous said...

Nice texture.. Loving the deep orange color.

Vera said...

It's so nice to have you back!
The soup is a total perfection!

Dragon said...

maybelle: Thanks. The red pepper is subtle but just makes the soup richer.

mesa: Obrigada!

peter: Thanks, my friend.

darius: I'm all about the drizzle, baby.

patsyk: Nothing better on a cold day.

nuria: Hope you enjoy it!

arundathi: Thank you!

lo: I missed you as well. :)

sk: Thanks, good to be back.

redmenace: You're very welcome.

jude: The colour is what gives it the wow!

vera: Thank you, my friend.

Nic said...

Lovely to see you Dragon - and what a great soup to come back with! Love the creamy decoration on the top.

RJ Flamingo said...

Great minds think alike! But I love the addition of red pepper! Also? I wanna grow up to garnish! :-))

 
Dragon's Kitchen - Copyright 2007-2010