Sweet Potato, Leek and Bacon Soup

Sweet Potato, Leek and Bacon Soup
Recipe by Dragon

It seems that I can't get enough of warm, comforting soups these days. Every time Fall comes around, soup is the only thing I want to eat. I just love the balance of sweet and savoury in this soup. Did I mention it has crispy bacon? Bacon, people! Enjoy!

Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
12 strips of bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 leek, sliced
1 1/2 leeks, chopped roughly
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup white wine
2 tablespoons sage, chopped finely
3 largish sweet potoatoes, peeled, chopped into 2 inch pieces
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup milk


Directions:
1. Cook the bacon pieces over medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with paper towels. Reserve.

2. Add the sliced leeks to the bacon drippings and cook until the leeks are caramelized and crispy. Remove leeks with a slotted spoon to a bowl lined with paper towels. Reserve.

3. Add one tablespoon of butter and rest of the leeks. Cook for 3 minutes to soften the leeks.

4. Add wine, sage and sweet potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until most of the wine has evaporated.

5. Add chicken broth and water. Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.

6. Purée soup in 2 batches in a blender (hot liquid, be careful!) until very smooth, about 1 minute per batch, then transfer to cleaned pan.

7. Bring soup to a simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add milk and stir until blended.

8. Serve with a generous garnish of the bacon and crispy leeks.

14 comments:

Georgia Hardstark said...

Oh my god I want to take a NAP in this soup right now. Yum.

Patsyk said...

The addition of bacon makes ANYTHING taste like comfort food! I love that you used sweet potatoes for this soup, it looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Potatoes and Bacon ? OMG YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darius T. Williams said...

HOT DAMN! This is my type of food here...sweet potatoes and bacon and leeks?!?!?!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

this combination of flavours will always be my favourite choice of soup! gorgeous photos :)

Lo said...

This is good stuff, my dear.
I love a good sweet potato soup... adding bacon and leeks to the mix only makes my heart beat faster!

Anonymous said...

Oh it's beautiful!

Dragon said...

georgia: You'd do better to eat it, honey. :)

patsyk: Thanks!

lana: Thanks, baby. :)

darius: Hot Damn is right. :)

diva: Thanks!

lo: Bacon make everything better.

noble: Thanks!

Matt said...

I really want to make this, but I don't have a blender any way of making it without one?

Dragon said...

Matt: If you don't have a blender, your soup will be a little chunkier but just as good. You will need to chop the leeks into smaller pieces before you cook them. You will then need to use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes and blend the soup. I hope this helps! Let me know it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Trying to imagine how it would taste reading the recipe but decided it's going to be delicious when I remembered that bacon was involved :O)

Matt said...

I was thinking of making this tonight, but I was just wondering about step 4, do you have to do anything to the sweet potatoes before adding them? Such as chopping them, or boiling them?
Still dont have a blender.

Dragon said...

Matt: You will need to peel the potatoes and chop them into roughly two inch pieces. They do not need to be precooked. I've ammended the recipe to include this. Thanks!

Sara said...

Just wanted to let you know that I tried this soup and I LOVED it! It's so delicious. :) Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

 
Dragon's Kitchen - Copyright 2007-2010